Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A "Year In The Life Of..." Album

A few years ago I purchased a scrapbooking magazine that had a fabulous idea.  It was a "Year In The Life Of..." album, which captured the regular, every day moments that make up the story of our life.  The basic concept is to take one photo a day, every day, for the whole year.  At the end of each week, you create one scrapbook page with seven photos, so by the end of the year you have 52 pages (or 26 double-sided).  For the less ambitious version, do one or two photos per week, and create one scrapbook page per month for a total of twelve pages.  I loved this idea, but when I found the article, it was well into springtime already, which was a bit late to start.  So I waited...

Last January I was so excited to start the project.  I was diligent about taking several photos every day, to be sure I would have several to chose from, and I even made some journal entries in a notebook so I would remember the context and importance of the photo.  I used the Picasa software to create a photo collage, which was very quick and easy...my version of digital scrapbooking.  I did this for three weeks.  Then, one day somewhere in the middle of the 4th week, I had a crazy busy day and completely forgot to take photos.  I realized it early the next morning and I took extra photos that day to compensate.  I figured no one would know the difference from one day to the next.  A couple of days later, it happened again.  I forgot to take photos.  This time three days went by before I remembered.  Well...I sure blew THAT idea.  



This year I'm shooting for the less ambitious version.  Maybe I'll just do "A Week In The Life Of..." or just a month, instead of a whole year.  I'm hoping I'll have better luck fitting that into my schedule. :) 

Here's a great article I found that explains how to start a project like this along with some awesome tips for success:
Project 365: How to Take a Photo a Day and See Your Life in a Whole New Way

Here's a blog of someone who actually does this.  She takes a photo every day and writes a little about it.  Contains some neat ideas...
Daily Documentation: Document the Everyday, Every Day

Here are some other resources I've found that might help with this project:

10 Can't Miss Photos To Take Each Month from Creating Keepsakes Magazine

Photo-a-Day Layouts: Cool layouts for scrapbooking a week's worth of photos

A Year In The Life: Scrapbook your year in 24 simple layouts ebook.

Start taking those photos!!!  I can't wait to see them!

Have you tried this scrapbooking technique before?  Was it successful?  Please comment below!
Happy crafting!
~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment